Monday, December 22, 2008

Oops. Tasty, though.

I was making dinner last night. The request was spaghetti, but I decided to make a little change. With my family, when they ask for spaghetti, they usually mean pasta with some sort of sauce. So I went to allrecipes.com, a great, well laid-out site for cooking, and found a decent-looking recipe for a Roasted Garlic Peppercorn Sauce. It looked like it would go well over pasta, and we love garlic.

I didn't have any whole garlic, so I used regular minced garlic from a jar instead. Unfortunately, when it came time to add the garlic to the sauce, as I usually do, I tried to just tip a little bit in and estimate how much I add. A large portion had clumped up a bit, and fell into the pan--about three times as much as the recipe called for. Oops. I quickly added more milk and flour in an attempt to prevent the sauce from becoming too strong.

Overall, it was pretty good, but I can see some people who don't care much for garlic thinking it is too overpowering. The kids liked it enough to finish everything I gave them, but not enough to ask for seconds, and my wife's only complaint was that it had too much pepper, though I had scaled that back quite a bit for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment